Miller Football and Volleyball Families:
We are happy to announce that we have received clearance to begin our Season C (football and volleyball) athletic activities. Season C will begin on March 22, which is unfortunately the very first day that we get back from Spring Break. While we are very excited to be able to offer activities for our students, it does not come without some logistical issues. Namely, how do we keep our students safe during a pandemic? Nationwide, coaches and educators have had to relearn to how to coach and teach. Never before and hopefully never again, have we had to navigate obstacles, the likes of which we’ve never even imagined. In order for us to have a successful sports season, parents/guardians, coaches, administrators, and players all have to work together, as we are ALL equal stakeholders. Therefore, we must ALL adhere to guidelines that many of us are tired of or in some cases, disagree with.
With that being said, we are asking a few things from parents/guardians:
- ALL participants MUST wear masks that cover both the mouth and nose, at all times (this includes football).
- This includes coaches
- Mask breaks will be regularly given
- In the event of a mask violation, coaches will 1) Give a reminder for athlete to fix their mask. 2) Ask athlete to step away from practice to take a mask break. 3) Ask athlete to leave practice for the day. After the third violation, the athlete’s parents will be notified and further consequences may be given.
- The same protocol will be followed for other behaviors that do not adhere to the safety guidelines set forth by CHSAA, San Juan Basin Health, and/or Durango School District 9R.
- If your child is not feeling well or is presenting ANY of the symptoms associated with COVID-19, please do not send your child to school/practice. There will be no consequence for missing practice, due to this proactive measure.
- All student-athletes MUST have a health screening before they practice. They will have their temperature taken and they will be asked several questions.
- Fever of 100.3 or higher? Chills, Cough, and/or muscle aches?
- Sore throat or loss of taste or smell, shortness of breath?
- Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea?
- Have you been around anyone who has been sick with COVID in the past 48 hours?
- Here is the link to register: https://durangoschools-ar.rschooltoday.com
- Here is the link for payment: https://durangoschools.revtrak.net/durango-high-school/dhs-athletics-and-activities/#/list
- We cannot take any physical forms. All forms must be completed online.
- Students will not be allowed to participate until the forms are completed.
- Please send your student with a water bottle
- There will be several sanitizing stations located around the practice area. Players will be regularly asked to sanitize their hands.
- All students will need to come to practice in their practice gear. They may change in a bathroom prior to screening. Locker Rooms will NOT be available. Also, there will be designated restrooms for player use. Access to other areas of the school will not be allowed. Students should bring all of their school work, clothes, lunch boxes with them to practice.
- Due to the current COVID levels of La Plata County, parents will not be allowed in the building and practices will be closed. Parents will be able to pick up their student after practice on the south end of the building. We are currently working on protocols for attending competitions. That information will be communicated at a later date.
Because of the ever changing nature of this pandemic, we may need to adjust or add protocols, when deemed necessary. In the event that a player, group, or team needs to be quarantined, you will be notified by district staff. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Coach Jaramillo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-247-1418 ext. 2521